Atelier Macumba presents the second public workshop in our Berlin-Lichtenberg studio with London circuit-bending master Tasos Stamou. An introduction to hardware hacking which provides a practical and theoretical background in modifying and alternative electronic instrument design techniques using recycled electronics. It is suitable for beginners, as well as to more experienced hackers and sound explorers who wish to push forward their ideas and projects of innovative sound interfaces.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
– Learn all the necessary techniques to turn ‘hackable’ electronic sound toys into useful sonic devices and experimental electronic music instruments.
– Participants will design an experimental music instrument and take it home!
– Practical, hands-on workshop, including all tips to the most common and effective circuit bending modifications.
– Theoretical introduction to handmade electronic instruments, including historical context and presentation of contemporary artists utilizing DIY electronics.
– Participants are welcome to bring their own electronic toys for hacking, otherwise “hackable” toys will be provided from a large selection. Please contact us with any questions regarding “hackability” of your own devices.
– Workshop participants will have the chance to perform with their own hacked instruments as members of an improvised circuit bending ensemble after the workshop completion.
COST & REGISTRATION
EUR 40 (including one sound machine, all material and components)
Participation in this workshop is by PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location and further details will be provided upon registration.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Tasos Stamou is a sound artist, a dedicated circuit bender and an instrument modifier/designer. He is an active member of music tech communities (Music Hackspace & Hackspace London, Hellenic Electroacoustic Music Composers Association). He has been utilizing his hacked creations into various performances (such as at the BENT Festival, New York) and recordings of obscure electronica ( Absurd, Triple Bathe, Orila, Lal Lal Lal, Kukuru Recordings). He has been leading hardware hacking workshops in festivals (Green Man Festival, SOTU Festival Lithuania, Athens Video Art Festival, NXNW Festival in Cologne, etc.) and music tech labs (Macumbista Studio in Berlin, Cafe Oto, Music Hackspace and Noise=Noise in London, STPLN in Sweden, WORM in Rotterdam, etc.).